Translate


Sunday, June 30, 2013

Obama to Fousesquawk: Pay Up


Organized for action


I'm feelin' da heat. Obama and his boys are leaning on me to pay up.

Yesterday, I get dis note from some dame named Big Kate:

From:Kathy Gasperine, BarackObama.com  Add to Addresses Block Sender
Date:Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:40 PM
To:fousesquawk Add to Addresses
Subject:Your record: Not an OFA donor
Size:12 KB
Organizing for Action
Friend --

Tomorrow's fundraising deadline is absolutely huge.

I was looking at our records associated with this exact email address -- and it looks like you haven't chipped in yet. 
(That's right.)

    -- Organizing for Action member: No
    -- Suggested donation today: $5

Take a minute to go on the record with your support -- make a donation of $5 or more today.

We've seen what grassroots organizing is capable of over the last couple of days.

(Yeah. I know what dez people of capable of doin', alright.) 

President Obama came forward with a bold plan to combat climate change. One woman stood in the way of an extreme anti-woman bill in Texas. The Senate passed comprehensive immigration reform. And we saw a sea change in the fight for marriage equality.

All of these victories have one thing in common: People fighting for what they believe in.

The fights we all care about are going on right now.

"Invest" in this work before tomorrow's deadline -- chip in $5 or more today:https://donate.barackobama.com/Sunday-Deadline

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy Gasperine
Development Director
Organizing for Action





-----
If you've made a donation in the last 24 hours that isn't reflected above, don't worry -- it may still be processing. Thanks for your support.










Today I get this "2nd notice" from Big Jon










> Add to Addresses Block Sender
Date:Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:43 AM
To:fousesquawk Add to Addresses
Subject:Is this a mistake? (It ain't no mistake.)
Size:10 KB
Organizing for Action
Friend --

I just got a list of everyone who's pitching in to build Organizing for Action -- and it looks like you're not part of it.

Here's the record we have for this exact email address: (They know where I live.)

    -- Organizing for Action member: No
    -- Suggested donation today: $5

So here I am, on the Sunday morning of the biggest deadline we've faced as a young organization, and I'm asking you, earnestly and directly:

Please chip in $5 or more to build OFA today:

https://donate.barackobama.com/Sunday-Deadline

We have so many big fights we want to take on, and what we do depends on the resources we have at midnight tonight.

I hope you'll help.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Carson
Executive Director
Organizing for Action





-----
If you've made a donation in the last 24 hours that isn't reflected above, don't worry -- it may still be processing. Thanks for your support.






So here's what I'm gonna do cuz nobody pushes me around, see?


I'm gonna send this post right back to'em and tell'em it ain't no mistake, and I got their donation right heah, see?

I'll let ya know what kind response I get back.

5 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I sent a response telling them I wouldn't be donating either. I said I'm all for continued citizen participation between elections, but I can't tell what OFA stands for. I definitely don't want my money used to blow up minor side issues like gay marriage into major moral causes of our time, and I haven't seen anything about raising the minimum wage or other important things.

I also got a mailing from the Democratic National Committee telling me my membership had expired (which actually happened in 1973).

I did get a response from Tom Barrett's political director... you remember, the mayor of Milwaukee who personally made sure Scott Walker would be governor by offering his tired wrinkled old self as "the only candidate who can beat Scott Walker" when voters were demanding "change"? I don't know HOW I got on HIS mailing list, but I keep getting emails that imply I'm a great admirer.

Anyway, I got a huffy reply saying "we don't share a similar assessment of recent political history." Glad we got that straight.

I don't mind hanging this out in front of God and everybody on Gary's blog, because the Democrats need some hard knocks if they are ever going to aspire to something more than "Vote for us, we're not the Republicans." That's a good start, but its a very low bar.

Gary Fouse said...

I find it bizarre how much a sitting president sets up this massive organization to organize the public around his philosophy.

elwood p suggins said...

I am a very sensitive person, and I feel slighted almost to tears.
I have NEVER received an e-mail or other communication from the Obama herd. How do I get on their list??

Gary Fouse said...

El

Just send them an email like I did. No matter what you say, the automated machine will record you as a friend, and you will be set to go.

Are you sure you want to do this?

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Gary's idea will work elwood. Otherwise, I was going to say I could offer your email address as a friend who I was sure would be interested... but I don't have your email address. Go ahead and give it to them yourself.

I've gotten a reply to my email. It must have been partially typed by a human being, but it basically said, if you want to know what OFA stands for, go look at our web site. I guess they don't really want me, or at least, they don't want to engage in a meaningful dialog about he future direction of the organization. And all this time I thought when the DNC sent me questionnaires, they really wanted my opinion... (TIC)

I'm thinking I may well vote for Christie in 2016, particularly if he promises to leave abortion and marriage up to the states, and not sign off on any federal legislation.