Translate


Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Cubs- A Retraction


Back on June 2, I did a posting on the state of the 2007 Chicago Cubs. This was after the dust-up between Carlos Zambrano and Michael Barrett, followed the next day by Lou Piniella going post office and getting thrown out of the game. At that point, the Cubs were losing, it looked like Zambrano was done with the Cubs, and all that $300 million that the team was paying in salary was for nought. In my posting, I all but pronounced the Cubs dead and suggested that the Curse of the Billy Goat was real.

Of course, as I pointed out, I had pretty much much seen it all as a Cub fan since 1963. The collapse in 69, the collapse in the 84 playoffs and the collapse in the 2003 playoffs. What I have not seen is my beloved team in a World Series. Who can be blamed for being a pessimist?

Well, what can I say? The Cubs have overtaken the Milwaukee Brewers and are now Central Division champs. I for one will not pop the champagne until they win the National League pennant. That's when my 45 year dream will be realized. Now I have to go through the agony of two playoff series, and if they fall short again, I will again be bitterly disappointed, as will be millions of long-suffering fans in Chicago and elsewhere around the country.

As for now, however, it is my pleasant duty to offer a retraction for my fatalistic comments in June. Maybe, just maybe, I will fly to Chicago and join the fans on Waveland Avenue if we get to the clincher at home.

Go Cubs!

No comments: