Translate


Saturday, June 2, 2007

Chicago Cubs-Curse of the billy goat?


During the 1945 World Series, a Chicago tavern owner tried to enter Wrigley Field accompanied by his goat. When he was refused entry, he promptly placed a curse on the Cubs to the effect that they would never again play in a World Series. Since that time, the Cubs have indeed failed to win a National League pennant leading some to wonder if the curse is real.

I first became a Cub fan in August of 1963 while I was visiting relatives in the Chicago area, and they took me to see a game at Wrigley Field. I was 18 at that time. Ever since that first experience in Wrigley Field, I have been hooked on the Cubs.

If you have never been to Wrigley Field, it is a must-do experience. Even in the 1960s, when it was the only park without lights, it seemed like I was back in the 1930s. In those days, the Cubs were perennially bad, played only in daylight, and a great seat could always be had, because the crowds were only 5-10,000 a game on weekdays. Over the years, most all the other pre-World War 1 ballparks have been torn down and replaced by modern faciltities, first, the oval concrete "donut" all-purpose types, which were monstrosities, then by the "retro" ballparks, trying to recapture the old syle, but still usually holding triple decks and luxury boxes. Only Wrigley and Boston's Fenway Park are truly old-time ballparks. Yankee Stadium, of course, was built in the early 1920s, but has been remodeled and is more like Dodger Stadium. Wrigley, over the years, has become an icon, which can sell out now no matter how bad the Cubs are. It is the "happening place" to be with its surrounding Wrigleyville of shops, pubs and eateries.

But back to the Cubs. In 1963, the Cubs actually had a record of 82-80, and times seemed to be getting better. They had the solid nucleus of Santo, Banks and Williams, the previous year's Rookie Of the Year, Ken Hubbs at second and a speed burner named Lou Brock, who seemed to me to be a real up and coming prospect. I knew the team had not been to a World Series since 1945, the year I was born, and had last won it all in 1908. the year my Dad was born (God rest his soul). I figured that with the team coming up, it would be only a matter of time before I could celebrate seeing my new favorite team in a World Series........

In February of 1964, Ken Hubbs, while piloting his private plane from Utah to his home in Colton, California crashed into a frozen lake, killing himself and his friend. During the 1964 season, Brock, still considered a prospect, was traded to the St Louis Cardinals for Ernie Broglio, a 20 game winner, who promptly came down with arm problems and never contributed anything for the Cubs. Brock, meanwhile, became a great player as soon as he donned a Cardinal uniform and led his team to a World Championship that same year. From there the Cubs reverted to mediocrity. Meanwhile, I left college, joined the Army and went to Germany for three years, where my best friend, Ray, was a Cub fan from Chicago. We rooted for the Cubs from overseas, but in vain.

By 1969, however, the Cubs were ready to make their move. With Santo, Williams and Banks still forming their foundation, slick infielders, Glenn Beckert and Don Kessinger in the middle, and Fergie Jenkins on the mound, the Cubs, under manager Leo Durocher, quickly ran to the top of the National League. They were hailed as the class of the National League as they built an 8-1/2 game lead by September. I was so excited that I flew to Chicago to cheer them on to the World Series with my buddy, Ray. I got there just in time to watch them collapse and blow the whole thing. But there would be next year. The Cubs still had all the players.

In spite of their great players, next year never came. They did manage to contend for a few years, but when the nucleus got old, the Cubs slid back down the pack.

Fifteen years later, the Cubs seemed poised to put it together. In 1984, they won their first divisional championship and went into a 5 game playoff with the San Diego Padres for the World Series. By then, I was living in Milan, Italy, working for the government. I had to use my short-wave radio to listen to the games. After the first two games were won in Chicago, I knew that this was it. The Cubs flew to the west coast to wrap it up. I was in Genoa for business for game number three, but I took my short-wave along and caught the last inning of the game, won by the Padres. During games 4 and 5, my wife and I were visiting friends in Rome, but there I was in bed at 3-4 in the morning listening on my short-wave as the Cubs did it again-they blew the pennant, letting the Padres come from 2 down to win the last three games.

Another Divisional Championship in 89, quickly doused by the Giants and the draught continued. I was beginning to wonder if I would actually live to see the Cubbies in a World Series. I wasn't 18 any more. I was now approaching 60.

Then came 2003. After the Cubs went up 3-1 on Florida, I bought a bottle of champagne and put it on ice. All I can say is that I did a major meltdown in games 6 and 7. Was it Steve Bartman or the goat?

As usual, the great year of promise was followed by a downward spiral until 2006 saw the team back in the cellar. I had now hit the 60 mark was semi-retired and had written three books. I started thinking about writing a book on Ken Hubbs, who has been a Colton icon to this day. I began researching life of this extraordinary young man (whom I had actually seen play in the 1954 qualifying game that sent him and his Colton team to the Little League World Series-they lost in the final game.) and even visited his grave in Colton. I wrote to the Cubs about my proposed project in the hopes they would provide assistance. I also made contact with his older brother, Keith Hubbs, who informed me that a book project was already in the works by a Chicago writer, whereupon I decided not to pursue the project.

As we all know, this year began with so much promise with the signing of Alfonso Soriano, manager Lou Piniella and so on. Of course, the twin hopes of the Cubs, Mark Prior and Kerry Wood continue not to be able to pitch, but we seemed to have filled the void. We all know how the season has gone. With 1/3 of the season gone, it is obvious the team is going nowhere. Just this week, our third great pitching hope, Carlos Zambrano had a meltdown and got into a fight with his catcher. A free agent after this season, he will also soon be history as far as we are concerned.

Meanwhile, as I approach my 62nd year, and my 44th as a Cub fan, I am beginning to doubt I will ever realize my dream of seeing the Cubs in a World Series. I feel especially sorry for the fans in Chicago. I am suffering with them. How many new teams have come into existance in the last 45 years and gone onto the Big Show? The Mets, Astros, Royals, Angels, Diamondbacks, Padres, Marlins etc. Even the cross-town White Sox and the Boston Red Sox have ended their long draughts with world titles. But for Cub fans, the suffering goes on.

During the 2003 playoffs, the TV neworks kept running film shots of billy goats running across the screen, a reminder of the Curse of the Billy Goat. Most people say they don't believe in curses-I never did. But then again, do you have a better explanation?

1 comment:

Harley Chapman said...

Gary, I last posted on your webswite May 27, 2009 about being a little league world series team mate and high school team mate on our CBL Championship Football team with Ken Hubbs. And, yes I did field some critical balls with men on base in our game against Venince in the regional tournament that we won 1-0 to go to the 1954 Little League World Series....wow almost 60 years ago.

Gary, what prompts me writing to you now is that our 1954 Little League World Series Team has the honor of being inducted into the Colton Sports Hall of Fame on March 30th of this year.There are only 8 players left from that team roster of 14. Five of the 14 players played professional baseball and the majority went on to be teachers/coaches and then independent businessmen. I have searched for the "alleged" book that was to be written by David Tennenbaum. I personally met him 15years ago when he was speaking favorably about the book as we both attended the annual Ken Hubbs Sports dinner honoring student-athletes of the greater San Bernardino area. To this day, it does not exist as per my investigation on google. This, despite being apart of the numerous players and coaches interviewed by him with the exhuberance that a book and possible a movie would be made about this extraordinary young man. Well, his mother is 92, his living team mates or nearing 70 and I believe the time is now to make the book writing a PROJECT. A fellow player and I are involved in supplying information for the Hall of Fame Induction and I have thought about asking him if he would spearhead an effort with me to get a book written about Ken. In this age where everybody needs encouragement, especially young people, such a book could be just the motivation that many would use to make a life decision that I am going to make a difference!

You indicated you had thought about doing a book about Ken and were told a book was in progress. Well to my knowledge it is not. And, to have waited over 10 years now thinking that hours of interviews by David Tennenbaum with various sources on the intimate details of Ken's life would lead to such a publication now seem unreasonable to think that a book will happen from this writer. I hope I am wrong. *(David if you somehow pick up on this comment please contact me and please tell me I am wrong and that the book is coming out on the anniversary of Ken's 60th Rookie of the Year Honor). Please say something or turn over all of your data and his little league and highschool team mates will see that a book is completed. Thank You.

So Gary, what is your response to my inquiry? You can e-mail privately at harley@porterstahoe.com and perhaps we can even speak privately on the phone. I wait your reply. Until that time......Harley Chapman